Singapore's rulers fret over generational shift in big election win

FILE PHOTO: General election in Singapore
FILE PHOTO: General election in Singapore
John Geddie and Aradhana Aravindan
·3 mins read

By John Geddie and Aradhana Aravindan

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - A resounding election win for Singapore's perennial rulers has been tainted by concerns about a generational voter shift that could in time weaken the People's Action Party's (PAP) unyielding grip on power.

The PAP won all but ten of 93 seats in parliament and 61% of the popular vote - a landslide by international standards - but its share of the vote dropped nine points from the last election in 2015.

Surveys released this week said a youth backlash was reinforced by disaffection from middle-aged voters, who were not expected to rock the boat given the dire economic outlook and job uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

This has prompted analysts to consider whether a long-term decline in the PAP's support is underway - a trend that Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and others have warned could unnerve foreign investors drawn to Singapore's political stability.

"The results indicate a tentative generational shift," said Eugene Tan, a former nominated member of parliament. "Unless the PAP responds with humility and empathy, one-party dominance will wither."

Seats won by the opposition have grown steadily over the last two decades, as has its popular vote, with the exception of the 2015 election held after the death of Singapore's modern day founder Lee Kuan Yew.

For a graphic, click here: https://tmsnrt.rs/3dFIStm

In the wake of Friday's election, senior PAP figures promised "soul-searching", while editorials in pro-government media called for a change to the PAP's paternalistic approach and combative political tactics, and a leadership with stronger links to the people.

"The young people have significantly different life aspirations and priorities...This will have to be reflected in our political process and in government policies," Prime Minister Lee said after the election results.

DISAFFECTED VOTERS

There are many unique characteristics of the Singapore electoral system that favour the larger and better-resourced ruling party, notably group constituencies where teams of candidates contend for multiple seats.

The capture by the main opposition Workers' Party of two of these constituencies last week has been held up as an example of the PAP losing touch with young voters. In one of them, Sengkang, a relatively-youthful voter base picked a slate of mainly new candidates, including Singapore's youngest ever elected MP at 26, over experienced political office holders.

A survey of voter intentions published by Blackbox Research on Thursday showed that the Workers' Party was most popular among Generation Z, those aged 21-25.

Separate surveys by the Straits Times newspaper showed that young voters swapped to the opposition due to issues ranging from opposition pledges to reduce immigration to perceptions that the PAP's targeting of opposition figures was high-handed.

But Blackbox said the biggest vote shift was towards the new Progress Singapore Party (PSP), headed by an ex-PAP stalwart, which narrowly missed out on seats but garnered 10% of ballots. PSP was most popular among those aged 25-59, while the PAP was favoured by those aged 60 and above.

"The PSP appeared to do better with disaffected former PAP voters," Blackbox said.

Opposition voter Selvan Paramasivam, a 31-year-old investment analyst, said as older voters lose their influence in elections to a younger, social media-savvy citizenry, a consensus is forming around the need for "a substantial alternative voice in parliament."

And despite warnings about foreign investors, this mood for change received only a muted reaction from financial markets compared to a similarly-unexpected slump in the PAP's vote share in 2011.

"This may have to do with the point that most commentators feel that the election was a good one reflecting the Republic's political maturity transition to a more diverse parliament," said Leong Sook Mei, a market researcher at MUFG Bank.

(Reporting by John Geddie and Aradhana Aravindan; Additional reporting by Tom Westbrook, Jessica Jaganathan and Anshuman Daga; Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan)

More From Reuters

  • Pop-up COVID-19 testing sites help California farmers keep working

    For farmworkers in California's Coachella Valley, it's brutally simple: no work means no food. In an effort to ease their fears, Dr. Raul Ruiz, a congressman representing California's 36th District, partnered with Coachella Valley Volunteers in Medicine to bring pop-up testing sites to the fields. Coachella Valley is in Riverside county, which has recorded the second highest number of coronavirus cases in the state - nearly 45,000 - and 879 deaths.

  • Cheptegei smashes 5,000 metres world record at Monaco Diamond League

    SHOWS: FONTVIEILLI, MONACO (AUGUST 14, 2020) (POOL VIA REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. STILL PHOTO SHOWING UGANDA'S JOSHUA CHEPTEGEI RUNNING DURING THE 5,000 METRES RACE AT THE MONACO DIAMOND LEAGUE MEET EN ROUTE TO SETTING A NEW WORLD RECORD TIME OF 12 MINUTES, 35.36 SECONDS 2. STILL PHOTO SHOWING CHEPTEGEI AFTER FINISHING THE RACE 3. STILL PHOTO SHOWING CHEPTEGEI CELEBRATING WITH UGANDAN FLAG 4. VARIOUS STILL PHOTOS SHOWING CHEPTEGEI POSING NEXT TO CLOCK SHOWING NEW WORLD RECORD TIME STORY: Uganda's Joshua Cheptegei produced a brilliant display of solo running to break Kenenisa Bekele's 16-year-old 5,000 metres world record by almost two seconds at the Monaco Diamond League meeting on Friday (August 14, 2020). Cheptegei had predicted a world record run in the first Diamond League meeting of the season and duly delivered as he clocked 12 minutes, 35.36 seconds, destroying the 12:37.35 that Bekele set in the Netherlands in 2004.

  • Justice Department opens probe into ex-NASA official, Boeing over space contract: sources

    The U.S. Justice Department has opened a criminal probe into whether NASA's former head of human spaceflight gave Boeing Co <BA.N> improper guidance during a lucrative lunar-lander contract competition, two people familiar with the matter said on Friday. The Justice Department has sent subpoenas to NASA, Boeing and Doug Loverro, who led the space agency's marquee space travel program until he resigned in May, as part of a grand-jury investigation into the possible violation of federal procurement laws, the sources said.

  • Mexico City cinema, theater and bars emerge from lockdown gloom

    After months without museums, cinemas and bars, Mexico City residents began exploring them again this week, even as authorities continue battling the coronavirus pandemic that has so far killed over 55,000 people in Mexico. Mexico has the third highest death toll worldwide from the virus, which has hammered the economy and caused unprecedented disruptions to life in the metropolis of 22 million people. "I'm not going out (fearfully) because I think the first thing that's going to get to us is fear," said Alma Esther Cervantes, a 50-year-old office worker, as she took her daughters to the Museo Soumaya art museum, all wearing face masks.