Harry Styles issues statement after Copenhagen show cancelled over fatal shooting

·2 min read

Harry Styles has said he is “devastated for the victims” of the deadly shooting in Copenhagen after his show in the city was cancelled over safety concerns.

The former One Direction star, 28, was due to take to the stage at the Royal Arena venue on Sunday night 3 July as part of his highly anticipated Love On Tour shows.

However, on Sunday afternoon Danish police responded to a shooting at the Field’s shopping centre less than a mile from the arena, which is situated on the southern outskirts of the city.

Police confirmed several people were killed with others injured, while a 22-year-old Danish man has been arrested after being detained near the site.

Large crowds had already gathered inside the arena when the show’s cancellation was reportedly announced by a member of the production crew, who asked asked audience members to leave.

“The police have decided to cancel due to safety reasons,” the production member said, issuing instructions for their safe dispersal.

A statement from concert promoter Live Nation said: “Tonight’s concert with Harry Styles has been cancelled by direction of the Danish Police.

“We are all truly devastated by the events of today and our thoughts are with the victims and their families,” the statement read, adding, “We are looking into future possibilities for the show, and hope to be able to give ticket buyers direct information as soon as possible.”

In a tweet, the “Watermelon Sugar” singer said he was “heartbroken” and “devastated for the victims”.

“I’m heartbroken along with the people of Copenhagen,” Styles wrote, adding, “I adore this city. The people are so warm and full of love.

“I’m devastated for the victims, their families, and everyone hurting,” he continued, “I’m sorry we couldn’t be together. Please look after each other. H.”

Following the shooting, the Danish royal palace announced it had cancelled a reception with Crown Prince Frederik connected to the Tour de France.

The reception was due to be held on the royal yacht that is moored in Sonderborg, the town where the third stage of the race ended this year.

Styles was due to take his Love On Tour show around the world in 2020 before the pandemic brought the live music industry to a standstill.

The rescheduled tour began in September 2021 in Las Vegas before heading across the US, with the European tour leg kicking off in Glasgow last month.

Styles’ most recent album, Harry’s House, was warmly received by critics and lead single “As It Was” recently claimed its 10th week at number one in the UK.