What happened to the other officers arrested over George Floyd death?

Graeme Massie
·2 min read
<p>Three former Minneapolis police officers, Thomas Lane (L), J Alexander Keung (C), and Tou Thao (R) will face August 2021 trial for their role in aiding and abetting Derek Chauvin in murder of George Floyd.</p> (Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office via Getty Image)

Three former Minneapolis police officers, Thomas Lane (L), J Alexander Keung (C), and Tou Thao (R) will face August 2021 trial for their role in aiding and abetting Derek Chauvin in murder of George Floyd.

(Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office via Getty Image)

When a jury in Minnesota convicted Derek Chauvin of the murder of George Floyd a year after his killing was caught on camera, his family said they would finally be able to get some sleep.

But the conviction of Chauvin has not brought an end to the criminal case surrounding Mr Floyd’s death.

Now attention turns to the coming trial of the three other police officers who were present when Mr Floyd died following his arrest in the city last year.

Chauvin, 45, was found guilty of second-degree murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter in Floyd’s death, and he will be sentenced in eight weeks time.

When the jury’s guilty verdicts were read out in the Minneapolis court room on Tuesday, Chauvin became the first white police officer ever convicted of the murder of a Black person in the state.

Mohamed Noor, a Somali-American, was the first police officer in the state convicted of murder for the shooting death of white woman Justine Ruszczyk Damond.

Noor received 12.5 years in prison after being convicted of third-degree murder and manslaughter and the city of Minneapolis settled a civil lawsuit with her family for $20 million.

Now former Minneapolis police officers Tou Thao, 35, Thomas Lane, 38, and J Alexander Kueng, 27, all face charges of aiding and abetting Chauvin in second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter of Floyd.

The state’s attorney general’s office will try and add a third-degree murder charge against all three officers in a Minnesota Court of Appeals hearing set for 20 May.

They are set to face trial on 23 August after a judge separated their trial from Chauvin’s because of Covid-19 concerns.

The three officers, who responded to the call on 25 May 2020, could face up to 40 years in prison if convicted of aiding and abetting murder.

But sentencing guidelines can also reduce that sentence to a maximum of 15 years.

All three former officers remain free on $750,000 bail.

Read More

George Floyd's brother says Joe Biden called his family

Black North Carolina man shot dead by police a day after Chauvin verdict

People are climbing over Trump’s border wall with $5 ladders, report says